Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month

March is recognized as Poison Prevention Awareness Month. We want to help you keep your pets safe from common pet toxins and poisons.

Many household items are toxic to pets, we feel it's important, as professional pet sitters, that we encourage our clients to educate themselves to ensure they keep unsafe items out of paw’s reach.

It can happen to even the best pet owners—you turn around for one moment (or accidentally leave medication or chocolate on the counter) and your pet ingests a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison.

Many items commonly found around our homes can be dangerous to pets.


  • Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate. The higher percentage of cocoa, the more dangerous it can be.
  • Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.
  • NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.
  • Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.
  • Rodenticides, mouse or rat poisons.



  • Lilies and all plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger and Asiatic lilies.
  • Household cleaners that are concentrated, such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
  • Flea and tick treatments that are created for use on dogs.
  • Antidepressants, such as Cymbalta and Effexor.



For a complete list of pet toxins, visit the Pet Poison Helpline. You can also view the Top Toxin Calls State by State as reported by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Contact your veterinarian or a pet poison helpline immediately if you suspect your pets have ingested a potentially toxic item.



Posted on March 21, 2016 and filed under Pet Health and Wellbeing.